Figuring out where to go on holiday is difficult enough without having to wrangle ever-changing COVID rules. People and the travel industry need every boost they can get.
So, we’re inviting you to build an AI model that can recommend a fun, personalised, COVID-safe holiday to anyone. Doing this enters you in our competition—as part of which you can win an Oculus Quest 2 VR headset and virtual holiday experience, if you build the winning model.
No coding or technical expertise is required to take part.
Start by watching the walkthrough video below. It guides you through the process of building a basic holiday recommendation model.
You can build along by following these steps:
- Sign up to the Rainbird Community if you haven't already (this will grant you access to the Rainbird platform)
- Download the .rbird file (titled “Holiday Map”) attached to the bottom of this article
- Open the Rainbird platform (simply click the “Platform” menu item in the main navigation)
- Click "New Map" in the top right hand corner of the screen
- Click "Import from File" at the centre of the screen
- Select the “Holiday Map” from your device
- Click "Save" in the top centre of the page
- Name your file “Holiday Map” and hit save
- Watch the video and edit along
We will run weekly training sessions, showing you how to improve the value and sophistication of your map. These will be delivered by Andrew Cassely. Follow him so you don’t miss any of these sessions!
- The competition will run until the last day of June 2021 (unless this is revised)
- The winning recommendation AI will be chosen based on votes by Rainbird Community members
- Rainbird employees, employees of registered partners and relatives of Rainbird employees are ineligible
- Holiday maps with an identical structure and recommendation pattern to the one built by Rainbird staff are ineligible
- If there’s a tie between competing maps, those maps will move to a knockout voting round
- Community members must build the maps themselves (e.g. can’t outsource)